I’m an AFP Member! Say It Loud, Say It Proud
March 20, 2012
Okay, maybe it’s been a while, but do you remember your excitement and pride when you first joined The Association of Fundraising Professionals? This was your opportunity to proclaim your professionalism (and choice of profession) and advertise your integrity by aligning yourself with like-minded practitioners of ethical fundraising.
But, in terms of your AFP affiliation where are you today? Are you still wearing your AFP membership with pride or is it stuffed in a mental drawer, buried under an ever-increasing stack of to-do items?
As an AFP member, you have access to resources and a network that can advance your career, further the cause of the organization you represent and support you as an advocate for the profession of fundraising. But effectively using your membership starts with you and how you represent yourself to your colleagues, friends, media and general public.
Here are a few tips on ways to “dust-off” your membership and get it working to further the goals important to you:
- Add the “Member of AFP” logo to your business card and electronic signatures
- Attend networking events and Chapter meetings
- Invite a friend to accompany you to networking events and Chapter meetings
- Start or volunteer to be part of a local speakers bureau to promote philanthropy and fundraising
- Promote National Philanthropy Day within your organization and community
- Make a presentation to senior staff and the board, educating/refreshing them about the Donor Bill of Rights and the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards
- If not in place, lead your organization in formally adopting these standards
- Write letters to the editor of local publications as issues arise that would inform and benefit the community
Most importantly, take a closer look at your many AFP member benefits. Include your local AFP chapter website on your favourites bar – visit it often, and keep in touch with other members in your community.